Tuesday, September 28, 2010

This Week - Psalm 6 thru 10

We are in the 2nd week of our journey through the Psalms. Last week we were to read Psalms 1 through 5. This week we are reading Psalms 6 through 10.

Last night at rehearsal I shared that as we read through the Psalms (really any Scripture passage) the Holy Spirit can often direct our attention to a particular word or phrase. That's not to invalidate the need to read Scripture in context (both the immediate and overall) or to ignore what the text meant in its original setting. But it is to say that when we ask the Spirit to illuminate God's Word (shed light, bring understanding, make alive) we often find a certain word or phrase will capture our hearts and minds.

This was the case for me last week as I was reading Psalms 4 & 5. In Psalm 4:7 David says, "You have given me greater joy/than those who have abundant harvests of grain and wine" (NLT). When I read that I thought, wow, Lord...is this true of me? Are You what brings me the most joy and satisfaction? I remembered Pastor Aaron's message on idolatry and the question he posed to us: "What - at this moment - are you trusting in?" I believe the Spirit brought my attention to that verse so as to provoke me to examine my own heart.

In Psalm 5: 7 David says, "Because of your unfailing love, I can enter your house" (NLT). When I read the word "house" I thought of God's house - the tabernacle/temple in the OT, the church in the NT. As lead worshippers we "enter" God's house every Sunday (think of the Psalms that say "I will enter His gates with thanksgiving...his courts with praise"). But if we think that we can come into God's presence based on our own merits, talents, righteousness - we are sadly mistaken. If I'm honest, I know in my own heart I've been guilty of this faulty thinking.

For me, the thinking goes like this - if I've fulfilled my spiritual "do's" and avoided the spiritual "dont's" I'm worthy to come before Him. But David says it right - it is only because of God's unfailing love that we can enter into His house and experience His presence. A thousand or so years after David wrote this psalm the true heir to His throne - Jesus - would become the fullest expression of God's unfailing love towards us. 1 Timothy 2:5 -"For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and people. He is the man Christ Jesus" (NLT). There's nothing I can do to make myself presentable before God - it's only through Jesus that I (we) can come.

As you read in the Psalms take note of those words, phrases, or verses that grab a hold of you. Spend some time reflecting on why those words are sticking out to you - perhaps a situation you are in, or a prayer request, or a sin you are struggling with - a place where God wants to meet with you. Also, I've found it helpful to read from a few different translations as different translations often bring out nuances and give fresh renderings to these ancient texts. Biblegateway.com is a great resource to compare translations.

NOTE on COMMENTS:
I've modified the layout so that comments now appear below the actual posts. To leave a comment click on the comments link and type away. You don't need to have a Google account or ID to remark, it's open to everyone.

3 comments:

  1. This goes back to last week, but it's impact to me is still ongoing.

    There was the quote about God's "unfailing" love. I first looked at that word and the word unconditional actually hit me & how His love for us is unconditional. Then I thought, "is my love for Him unconditional? Is it truly based on faith or do I need to feel His presence (or receive His presents) to stay close to Him?" I think I could use some growth in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What resonated with me during the first week's readings was God's overriding protection and constant security. In a world that is filled with so many distractions and temptations---His grace and peace continues to be available to us. I felt encouraged to "search my heart" and examine what it is that is taking my time from being with Lord consistently. Is it sleep? Is it work? Is it over-involvement? Is it the latest on "Must-See_TV"??
    Regardless---these Psalms assured me that God is there waiting to spend time with me---arms open---and eminating peace.


    In the second week's readings (6-10) --the theme that spoke to me was of the evil which prevails in "the wicked". Pride---prosperity--lack of attention to the needy and helpless. its the wicked that resides in all of us. But David says "for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you." The action is upon us. As I continue to read the Psalms of week 3 I do so with more intentionality. Trying not to fall into the chasm of the "wicked" by intentionally and seeking God in a more active manner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love Psalm 19! I often end my morning quiet time with the prayer, "May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight, my Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." When I leave my house after having said that prayer, I find that the Spirit reminds me often during the day, when I'm on the verge of choosing to dwell on something in my mind (a past hurt, a selfish desire) or saying something that probably would not be particularly pleasing to God.

    I am reading the Psalms in the NIV and Message versions of the Bible.....I was struck today by these words, "Keep me from stupid sins; from thinking I can take over Your work." (Message)

    The stupid sin of thinking that the dream I have for my life is better than the plan He has for it; of self-determining ahead of time what the "packaging" of answered prayer must look like.....

    I am completely humbled by this verse today.

    ReplyDelete