Monday, September 20, 2010

Recap of Fall Kickoff Mtg.

This past Sunday we had our fall kickoff lunch mtg. for the worship team - thanks to those of you who attended. I especially appreciated the time of sharing we had at the end, and the opportunity to pray for one another. It's rare that we have most of the team at one place at one time, so it was good to reconnect, however brief our time was.

Wanted to post a quick recap of what we covered, as well as some upcoming dates:


  • Thank you for your continued faithfulness, excellence and commitment to this ministry. It's a joy to serve alongside each of you in the high calling of leading others in worship.
  • This should go without saying, but it's important to be dialed into the teaching when we're on the worship team. It's a good thing to catch up with each other. But, as much as possible, let's refrain from a lot of chatter during the message so we can maintain an environment (in the backstage area) that is conducive to active listening. If you plan on going out to sit with your spouse during the service, please be aware that for the other service there will still be people following along with the message on the TV. Consider the time before and between services for conversation.

  • I know many see the worship team as a primary source for fellowship, care, etc. - and we're certainly glad that we are creating an environment where we can all feel free to share openly and honestly. But, we (myself, Gordon, Connie) would strongly encourage you to participate in a growth group or mid-sized community (if you are not already). I know we all have busy schedules, but we need to do "life together" with other believers. I know how much I need it, and how much I benefit from it in the long run. Check out the groups and communities Living Word has to offer.

  • I’m encouraging us to read through the Psalms together. The goal is to read 5 Psalms a week, going through all 150 in order. Most of us (at one point or another) struggle with maintaining regular time in God’s Word. So, knowing the rest of the team is going through the same passages might help us be more consistent. There’s no better book to be familiar with as a lead worshipper than the Psalms. Below you'll see more info on the Psalms reading schedule.

In terms of upcoming events...


Regarding the Psalms...

  • The goal is to read through 5 Psalms (in sequence) a week...so this week (week of Sept. 19th), we'll read Psalms 1-5. You can find the text here at Bible Gateway (NIV). Here's a handy-dandy Bible iPhone app.

  • I handed out some introductory notes (from the ESV Study Bible) on Sunday. They can be downloaded here.

  • PLEASE feel free to interact with the posts I'll be making on the Psalms. My goal is to do one post a week on how I'm interacting with the Psalms in my own devotional time. It'd be great to hear how God is speaking and revealing Himself to you as you are reading along.

Looking forward to the Fall!

1 comment:

  1. I thought we had to read 5 chapters a day so I am ahead of the game-LOL
    This is a very good read along with what I am currently reading "To know Him" by Gloria Copeland. It is amazing how David even in his darkest time which he made known, always confessed God's deliverance even before he saw the manifestation of it. We tend to wallow in what we are going through instead of seeing the victory, and I am very encourage to do the same as I encounter situations in my own life.
    Thanks for encouraging this.

    ReplyDelete