Thursday, March 26, 2009

"Let Your Kingdom Come"

This Sunday concludes our three-week Global Missions focus at Living Word. I know I have personally been encouraged, challenged and convicted as I have heard "kingdom" stories from Peter Greer (Hope International) and Jeff Phillips, serving God in Chile. This week we will hear from Paul Borthwick concerning the biblical basis for missions - I am looking forward to hearing from God's Word as it concerns His heart for all people.


In tandem with this 3-week Global Focus we have been singing a song called "Let Your Kingdom Come" - a prayer of expectation that finds its biblical inspiration in the Lord's Prayer. Bob Kauflin, whose blog I frequent quite a bit (worshipmatters.com), is the composer, and if you want to know more about the full story behind the song check out this entry of his. Bob is Director of Worship for Sovereign Grace Ministries.

Not only is "Let Your Kingdcome Come" a prayer but it's also a song of commitment, as verse two says "Lord, use us as You want/whatever the test..." Whenever we sing songs that have such words of commitment I almost want to back up and say, whoa, wait a second...got to think this through. It's easy for me to sing this rather glibly without counting the cost of what it's really communicating - mainly, Lord, wherever, whenever, however, use me. USE me. I am Yours. I am not my own. Worth thinking this point through, and I know when we introduced it a couple weeks ago I mentioned this to the congregation.

May YOUR Kingdom come, May YOUR will be done...on earth as it is in heaven. In whatever way you want to use me to extend Your kingdom, Lord, find in me a heart that is yielded and humble. May this song be more than just words and music on a page, but it may it become a conduit for authentic desire, prayer and anticipation.



No comments:

Post a Comment